Thursday, May 5, 2011

In awe

This city is truly amazing! I got some great photos today, but I'll wait a few days to post, as it's hard to get computer time to upload with this sea of 18 yr old trust fund babies always online at the hostel. I'm going to give it a few days, but I may be changing hostels- I feel sooo old. Last night the altitude sickness hit- very unpleasant. I spent much of the evening throwing up (yup in a hostel bathroom :p), as well as a bit of a scare when I passed out in the hallway. Oy. However, lots of water and rest, and I feel great today. I also almost murdered one of my flat mates- he literally ate handfulls of the most crunchy cereal in the world ALL night long; he never stopped- I don't know how he didn't explode into a down pour of lucky charms. This morning I had DELICIOUS coffee, and walked to Plaza de Armas. I sat there for a couple of hours, just taking it all in- the beautiful churches, school children in their ridiculously adorable uniforms, panhandlers EVERYWHERE (phrase of the day, no gracias), a water fountain, cobble streets....aw! I'm currently typing this with my awesome wireless keyboard (thanks Thomas!!) and iphone. I guess it's cinco de Mayo- not sure if I'll be celebrating, alcohol at this elevation is dangerous. Can't wait to get some of the fantastic souvenirs to send home to peeps- again, trying to pace myself :) and shop around- haggling is welcome here.

3 comments:

  1. Also, the locals are so friendly- they clearly want your money, but once the 'no' registers, they are happy to just talk to you. Today I chatted with a woman named Julia that sells paintings to tourists, has 6 children ranging from 2yr old to 13 yr old, and dreams of someday visiting New Jersey, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're gonna clue her in on that one, right? "Sorry, Julia. I'm not laughing at you. It's just that saying you want to visit New Jersey is like saying you want to vacation in your neighbor's bathroom ... Ya, there's stuff you can do there, but nothing you'd want to share."

    (Wow, I just painted a target on my back, didn't I.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! I love all of it so far! Thanks for sharing. I am envisioning the coffee - oh so good! So much can be overlooked after a good cup of coffee and the best coffee I ever had was overseas - I dream about it to this day! It's nice that you keep a perspective :) Love Angie -

    ReplyDelete